With the recent release of my third book, The Beauty Detox Power, I am super excited to share this amazing recipe with you. You will find this dish under the ‘Carbs’ Cravings section of the book… This recipe is called Beauty Food – Paired, Vegan and Gluten – Free Mac ‘N Cheese.
It took me a few tries to perfect this dish for you, but I think you are really going to enjoy it. Mac ‘N Cheese brings up nostalgic feelings for a lot of us. I personally love the velvety rich texture of eating this dish, which is super satisfying. When it comes to making this dish vegan, many recipes use cashews which can cause a digestion nightmare. Cashews in this dish would be a Beauty Foods combining No – No! You don’t want to combine cashews (heavy fat/protein) with starch (regular or gluten-free pasta). I am excited for you to enjoy my creation that is totally nut-free and made from a blend of butternut squash and coconut milk. Yummy!
Imagine. This is just ONE recipe from the The Beauty Detox Power, which contains over 60 new recipes plus amazing life-changing new information. I can’t wait to reveal this new information that will shift your perspective about the role of food in wellness forever. In this new book, I teach you all the factors involved in achieving and maintaining your ideal weight, to give you back control over how you look and feel. Remember, we are complex beings, and just looking to oversimplify what affects our weight and health leads to long-term frustration and misery.
I hope making this recipe brings you as much joy and happiness as it did for me! Stay tuned… next week we are going to have some pretty awesome topics for the blog!
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (1⁄2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus 1 tablespoon for the bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea1 salt, plus 1⁄2 teaspoon for the sauce, plus ⁄2 teaspoon for the bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus 1⁄4 teaspoon for the sauce, plus 1⁄4 teaspoon for the bread crumbs
- 2 cups full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus 2 tablespoons for the bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Few drops Tabasco sauce or other similar hot sauce (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (made from about 3 pieces of toasted gluten-free bread, which are cooled, then pulsed in a food processor)
- 11⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta elbows or shells, cooked according to the package directions
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Toss the butternut squash cubes, onions and garlic with 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the pepper in a large bowl. Spread the squash mixture on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until the squash cubes are soft and golden brown, around 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut milk, thyme and bay leaves in a medium saucepan, and bring the coconut milk to a rolling boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat and let the coconut milk steep for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs with a slotted spoon.
- Combine the cooked coconut milk, the squash mixture , 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt, the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoons of the yeast, the dry mustard, turmeric, and Tabasco sauce in a blender and process until smooth. Set the butternut squash sauce aside.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil, the remaining tablespoons nutritional yeast, the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1⁄4 tea- spoon pepper and the paprika. Set the bread crumb mixture aside.
- Arrange the cooked pasta in a large bowl. Pour the reserved butternut squash sauce over the pasta and combine well. Spoon the pasta into a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Sprinkle the reserved bread crumb mixture over the pasta and bake for 20 minutes, or until top is golden. Spoon out, serve at once and enjoy each bite!