Well it’s that time of year again, when our body starts to increase cravings for comfort foods that may not be so healthy for us. Not to fear, my Pumpkin Pie Parfait Recipe is here!
My parfait is gluten and dairy-free—without all the refined sugars, syrups and dairy derivatives that are typical of most parfaits.
‘Lil Bit of History About Parfaits…
As you might already know, in France, parfait refers to a frozen dessert made from a base of cream, egg and sugar syrup. That means, it contains dairy fat and animal products and refined sugar (Beauty Detox no-no’s), but we’ll be putting my own twist on this baby, so no worries there!
In the United Kingdom, parfaits are considered to be a very smooth meat paste or what you may call, pâté. This parfait is usually made from liver, chicken or duck, and then flavored with some type of liqueur. Definitely not the kind we’re making today, but who doesn’t like a bit of history?! ;) This can also help you avoid any shock if you do happen to make it to the UK and wonder what all the chicken-y parfait is about!
And finally, in North America, parfait refers to the traditional French-style dessert or to some other popular variant. For instance, the American parfait is usually made by layering parfait cream, ice cream, or flavored gelatin into a tall, clear glass, then topped with fresh whipped cream, fresh fruit, and/or liqueurs.
Some parfaits are also made by using yogurt layered with granola, nuts or fresh fruits. The choices are endless really. With all the choices, including gluten free granolas, you can get real creative.
For my parfait, I’m using the fiber-filling and fabulously-tasting puree of my Beauty Detox Pumpkin Spice Smoothie (say that 10 times fast!), gluten-free granola, and a fun, fluffy twist on the whipped cream, using coconut—keeping this dessert Beauty Detox approved! (For the whipped topping I use So Delicious Dairy Free Coco Whip).
Not only will this parfait keep our bodies beautiful from the inside out, but we’ll still have enough energy left over for the rest of our festivities. While everyone else is slumbering, you’ll be ready to dance the night away (or be stuck doing the dishes- but let’s hope not! :) ).
Make these for your friends and family…
- 1 recipe serving of pumpkin pie smoothie (See recipe below)
- ½ cup of gluten-free granola
- ½ cup of coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup coconut whip, for topping
- Cinnamon, for topping
- Add about 2 inches of the Pumpkin Pie Smoothie to the bottom of a clear parfait (or other) glass.
- Then add a layer of granola and coconut whip.
- Continue all the way to the top. Top with coconut whip and cinnamon.
Find the Pumpkin Spice Smoothie Recipe below…
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (freshly cooked preferred or from a carton)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ Tbs. pure maple syrup or coconut nectar, more or less to taste
- ½ tsp. gluten-free, alcohol-free pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. freshly ground ginger
- • 1 frozen organic banana
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
All my love,