Ice cream is soft and comforting, like a warm hug. And most of us love ice cream- including me! Yet ice cream isn’t so nice and comforting when it comes to our digestion and health, which is why it’s important to seek out dairy-free alternatives like coconut milk based iced cream.
And today, I am sharing with you a recipe that has that same smooth, creamy texture of ice cream, yet not only omits dairy, but is chock full of antioxidants and vitamins! My Raspberry Banana Acai Nicecream Recipe is beautiful, delicious and beauty-promoting.
Beauty Berry: Raspberries
What digests cleanly, digests quickly, and has no toxic residue when eaten on its own? Fruit, of course! And this includes the beautiful variety of berries we have to choose from. Raspberries happen to be one of my faves and the one we’ll be using in today’s recipe. Why?
Raspberries are known to be a particularly great food for women, and help supply us with vitamins and countless other micronutrients to help build strong hair, great skin, and overall health (I recommend avoiding raspberries during your first trimester however).
Berries have also been shown to protect your brain from memory loss and contribute to enhanced memories.
Diets rich in berries can improve learning capacity and are among the best source of antioxidants that you can easily purchase and incorporate into your diet.
As we know, berries are most popular and at their sweetest when the weather warms up, which explains why the oils from raspberries have a sun protection factor. Mother Nature’s way of taking care of the largest organ — our skin!
Furthermore, berries help to lose weight and have properties that will keep you looking young and at your freshest. By improving your immune system, these berries actually look after your overall health and are super easy to include in your Beauty Detox Solution lifestyle.
Note: Remember to eat fruit on an empty stomach. If you top other foods with fruit, you will make digestive trouble for yourself (including bloating!). This is because fruits break down the quickest of all foods, and we don’t want them to sit on top of slower digesting foods, which can back up your system.
Botanical Super-food: Banana
Beauties, you know just how much I love bananas, and how often I use them in my recipes. In my book, Radical Beauty, I share just how important bananas are in filling our bodies with vitamins, minerals, fiber and long-term energy.
Take a look at this long list of the benefits for the amazing Nana! (as Bubby calls bananas :) ):
- Contain natural oils and enzymes that help your body easily digest them
- Won’t weigh down your digestive tract, and will help lubricate it
- Help to keep you regular when it comes time to eliminate, while the electrolytes help restore electrolytic balance
- High in potassium (about 600 mg per medium banana)
- Help in balancing the effects of sodium in your body
- Contain fiber (3 grams in a medium-sized one), aiding in keeping your full longer
- Contain vitamins A, B, E, K and C as well as 6 mcg of folic acid—essential for red blood cell formation
- Increases bloat-fighting bacteria in the stomach, helping to diminish retention of fluids
- Contain norepinephrine, which regulates our “fight or flight response” – helping to regulate stress
- Supplies glucose (most easily digestible source of sugar), that provides optimal energy and eating one post workout will quickly replenish energy stores that have been depleted during a tough sweat session
- Rich in pectin (an all-natural detox), and this gelatin-like fiber sticks to toxic compounds in the blood, helping to flush toxins from the body
- All of this wrapped up in a tasty package with about 105 calories and 0 grams of fat
As you can see, bananas really are a super-food and a perfect addition to The Beauty Detox Solution plan—being natural and packed with amazing vitamins and phytonutrients that other diets may be lacking in.
Choose high quality whole foods for optimal digestion, assimilation, overall health, beauty, and wellbeing, and your body will love you for it!
Glowing Berry: Acai
Speaking of berries, one of the healthiest berries you will ever find is the acai berry. I am completely obsessed with acai and use it in my smoothies almost every day!
Acai berries have powerful detoxification capacities in the human body, and are super high in antioxidants. One berry has ten times as many antioxidants as grapes and twice as many as blueberries — helping to slow down the aging process.
Filled with the natural cleanser of fiber, minerals, and naturally sugar-free, you will feel great about what’s going into your afternoon snack and thrilled on how it will show up later in your glowing skin and shiny hair.
Acting as a natural cleanser, we’ll be keeping our colons free of these harmful substances and helping to alleviate constipation and other digestive problems.
What I think is pretty amazing about acai berries is that they are capable of speeding up bowel transit time. Why is this important?
Because it prevents foods from fermenting in the intestines, which can contribute to bloating, constipation, and gas. This topic was discussed earlier in this post, and you can see why it’s so important to avoid for optimum health, assimilation and digestion.
Acai, too, has natural oils that are a great natural alternative to chemical based skin care products. In fact, many beauty products contain acai oil because of the oil’s high antioxidant content.
When we add these berries to our lifestyle, they will provide nutrition that can give your skin a healthy glow.
Brazilians have been eating acai berries for centuries to promote skin health!
If you haven’t tried acai yet or don’t know where to purchase it, it can be found at most health stores (in the freezer section).
My favorite brand that I’ve been using for years is the Sambazon Unsweetened Acai Smoothie Packets—made from delicious, organic acai, wild-harvested from the heart of the Amazon, using fair-trade practices—so you can feel good about supporting and benefiting the local farmers!
Don’t forget to check out this podcast on acai, if you haven’t already! It’s a super fun interview and I think you’ll enjoy learning all about this amazing berry and what it can do for you!
How to Make this Yummy NiceCream Below…
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 Sambazon acai packet
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocao powder
- ½ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 kiwis sliced
- 1 handful of frozen raspberries
- Combine banana, acai, raspberries, cacao powder and almond milk in high speed blender until fully combined.
- Top with fruit toppings and enjoy!
Don’t forget to add this to your Pinterest Snack & Desserts board!
All my love,