Here I am at a glorious farmer’s market in California which inspired The Fall version of my Glowing Green Smoothie®. Taking trips to the farmer’s market is definitely one of my favorite pastimes. 🙂
What did I find out in ‘ol Cali???? Um, what didn’t I find?!! To name a few TREASURES I spotted…4 different kinds of Haas avocados, and all for $1 each!! Enough sunflower sprouts that I could swim in them, and the most perfect collard greens, all the exact same size and tied together like a little bundle of flat, green soldiers!!
Plus let’s not forget the to die for white nectarines (I’m not embarrassed to admit that I chomped down on the cut up samples, greedy little nectarine-eater that I am!), and heirloom tomatoes from ancient seeds!! Waaay better than a NYC clothes sample sale, in my opinion. 🙂
What a blessing to meet the people that grow our food, as well as their families. The produce from farmer’s markets is the freshest and the best, and it supports the local farmers. Be sure to check out your local market whenever you have the chance!
In season through the Fall, the extremely powerful dark leafy green kale is the main feature of the Fall Green Smoothie.
Kale is one of the most mineral-rich, beautifying greens there is. It is abundant in calcium, lutein, iron, fiber and essential Vitamins A, K, and collagen-building Vitamin C. Kale has seven times the beta-carotene of broccoli and ten times more lutein. Full of phytochemicals, it also packs in Vitamin E, which rebuilds beautiful skin.
As we switch from season to season our bodies can become more sensitive and it can be easier to get sick. The high content of Vitamin C in kale also helps with immunity, and kale’s naturally rich sulfur content helps boost the body’s detoxification enzymes and provides a great cleansing response in the body to wash the system of toxins.
Dinosaur Kale, also known as Lacinato Kale, is my favorite vegetable in the world!!! Aim to drink a glass of the Fall Green Smoothie, or regular Glowing Green Smoothie®, 3-7 times a week to start your day! You will feel more energetic, vibrant, and beautiful, just like the mighty kale.
Full recipe below…
- 1½ cups water
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3-4 stalks organic celery
- 1 bunch Dinosaur or Curly Kale
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1 organic pear, cored and chopped
- 1 organic banana
- Juice of ½ fresh organic lemon
- Strip the kale leaves (whichever type you are using) off of the stem, discard stems, and blend all the rest of the ingredients until smooth.
- Tastes best cold, so be sure to use cold water. If your blender is not very strong, and takes longer to blend up, thereby warming the smoothie, make the night before and keep in the fridge overnight. Keeps for a maximum of up to 3 days in the fridge.
Happy blending and don’t forget to add this to your Pinterest Smoothie board!
See you back here soon.
In love and health,