Drinking the Glowing Green Smoothie ® (GGS) is a great way to incorporate tremendous amounts of greens into your diet – far more than just eating your veggies. A serving of the GGS contains over 3 cups of dark leafy green vegetables, which is more than many people get in a week!
Greens have more valuable nutrients than any other food group on the planet. You might be surprised to learn that greens even have high-quality, easily-assimilated amino acids – enough to build the protein that supports the muscle mass of the mighty, greens-eating gorilla, which pound-for-pound is the strongest animal on earth! Blending helps make greens’ full spectrum of nutrition readily available to the body.
Nutrients are encased inside plant cells and getting their benefits requires these cells’ walls to be ruptured. Greens need to be worked down to a creamy consistency, but most people simply don’t chew that much! Blending addresses this problem, helping your body absorb the maximum amount of nutrition from your greens. This is the drink that I drink every day, and have all my clients drink to feel and look their best. I hope that it will become part of your daily life as well.
I generally recommend starting out consuming around 16 ounces of the Glowing Green Smoothie®, and then working up to 24 ounces or more. A Vitamix blender is definitely recommended to make this smoothie, so that it’s smooth, silky, and delicious in only a few minutes of prep time and cleanup.
The advantage of making a big batch like this one is time and convenience. Unlike juice, the Glowing Green Smoothie ® will keep in your refrigerator, as long as it’s covered, for about two and a half days. You can share it with your family or roommates, or have it yourself over that time period.
You can also freeze portion sizes of it in glass containers and thaw out the night before in a bind. Ongoing cleansing is a critical way to reach your highest potential of health and beauty. The Glowing Green Smoothie ® retains all of the fiber of the greens and fruit, rather than removing it. In nature, vegetables and fruit are found with both their fiber and juice intact, and we can’t improve on nature. Fiber is critical for ongoing cleansing by sweeping out toxins on a regular basis, helping to keep your digestive tract and body clean, and also keeping you more full so that you tent to eat less heavier and/or acidic foods throughout the day.
Note: I encourage you to mix and match your greens and fruit. Vary this recipe with kale, chard, arugula, and the like. Just avoid melons, as they don’t combine well with other produce. You can get more healthy, delicious recipes from my book, The Beauty Detox Foods.
I am an affiliate for the Vitamix corporation which means that I receive a commission on units sold through my links. However, I am a strong believer in Vitamix and have been using them for much longer than I’ve had an affiliate relationship with them and I have always wholeheartedly recommended them, relationship or not.
- 7 cups chopped spinach (about a medium bunch)
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 1 small head)
- 2 cups cold filtered water
- 1½ cups chopped celery (about 2 medium stalks)
- 1 medium apple, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium pear, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium banana, peeled and cut in thirds
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh cilantro (stems are okay)(optional)
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley (stems are okay)(optional)
- Combine the spinach, romaine and water in a blender and begin processing on low. Gradually move to higher speeds and blend until smooth.
- Next, add the celery, apple, and pear, and the cilantro and parsley (if using). Lastly, add the banana, lemon juice and ice (if using), and blend until smooth. Serve at once or refrigerate, covered, for up to 2½- 3 days.