The beauty food winner we are featuring in this blog is…beets!
Our Clean Red juice we serve at Glow Bio and include in our cleanse programs, which is a blend of beets, apple and ginger, is a delicious and powerful way to cleanse your system. As you know, cleansing improves your skin, among many other benefits.
Many studies attest to the nutritional benefits of beets but many are unaware of its nutritional power. These bright red root vegetables pack a variety of vitamins and minerals rarely found in such high concentrations within one food.
Beets belong to the Chenopod family – along with spinach and chard – and possess an amazing amount of beauty and health-boosting benefits.
The Anti-Aging Power of Beets
Beets are high in folate, vitamins A and C, iron, potassium, manganese, and fiber.
Anti-aging benefits include:
- Skin: They stimulate cell production and repair, which can protect your skin from premature aging and wrinkles. The powerful antioxidants in beets also help fight signs of aging to keep your skin firm and youthful.
- Eyes: Beets are high in carotenoids, which can help prevent macular degeneration related to age, to keep your eyes bright and beautiful.
- Brain: The nitrates in beets stimulate blood flow to the brain, which can help fight age-related dementia and keep you sharp!
- Cardiovascular: The nitrates in beets may also lower blood pressure, according to a British study.
- Support for good health: Beets are a significant source of betalains, which give the root is deep red color. Betalains are not only a powerful antioxidant, but they are also anti-inflammatory and detoxifying.
- Anti-cancer benefits: Studies show that beetroot extract may suppress tumors in multiple organs.
- Detoxification: Beets thin bile, improving liver function and increasing detoxification, one of the biggest factors in boosting beauty from within.
Incorporating Beets Into Your Diet
Many people profess to not like beets, but these ruby colored roots can be incredibly delicious. They are beneficial cooked and raw- if you cook them, you only need to steam them for 15 minutes or so. Or have them raw in a Clean Red juice (one of my faves!), or slice them thinly and eat them raw on a salad or in a slaw.
Try my delicious Clean Red juice, or make the oil-free* delicious recipes below:
* Beauty Detoxers know I limit all oils (even “good” ones like olive oil) since oils are not whole foods found in nature. They have been stripped of fiber. Better sources of Beauty Fats are whole foods such as small amounts of seeds, nuts and avocados.
Ginger, Beet, and Apple Slaw
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 pound beets, peeled and grated
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, or similar flavored and textured apple, grated
- 3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- Dash Celtic sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon low sodium tamari
- Combine ginger, beets and apples in a bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, sea salt, pepper, and tamari.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
Beet and Fennel Salad with Orange Dressing
- One head of green cabbage, shredded
- 1 large bulb of fennel, sliced thinly
- 2 beets, sliced thinly
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- Stevia, to taste (optional)
- Place cabbage, fennel, beets, and cucumber in a large bowl.
- Whisk together orange juice, lemon juice, mustard, mint, and stevia.
- Pour over vegetables and toss. Serve immediately.
Beet Salad with Tarragon Dressing
- One pound of beets, shredded
- 1 large shallot, very thinly sliced
- Celtic sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh water
- 2 tablespoons raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- Place beets and shallot in a bowl and season with pepper and a little Celtic sea salt.
- Whisk together mustard, water, vinegar, and tarragon.
- Toss dressing with salad and serve immediately.
Enjoy! And let me know how you do with your beet-ventures.
Try out my Glowing Green Smoothie recipe for additional ways to detoxify your body. :)